Friday, August 16, 2013

A Letter for Grandma

Sunday night I got a call from my dad saying that he was on his way up to Sandy because Grandma wasn't doing so well and that he will call me in the morning for more details. I was a little nervous but I figured she would be fine since last time I got that phone call she was up and walking around when I drove up there.

I was woken up by a phone call from dad saying that Grandma didn't make it and that she has gone to be with Grandpa. Last time I was with her our entire family was there and we all said our 'Goodbyes' as a whole. I figured that since all the other grand kids lived near her were able to have a one-on-one with her, I was never able to have a one-on-one session with my grandma like I would have wanted. But that's what this post is about.

Dear Grandma,

I love you. And I miss you. I know we never were able to have a conversation with just us, but that's what this is. I just want to say Thank You. Thank you for all you have done. 

I've been mourning the loss of you this whole week when a beautiful mother who I have considered as another mother was finally able to inspire me to mourn, but more importantly to celebrate your life. And that is what this is. This is my way of celebrating your life. 

Thank you for teaching me to include everyone. I know your English was broken and you preferred Tongan, but you knew that my brother and I never really understood the language so you always tried your hardest to speak in English. I want to thank you for that. Thank you for unknowingly teaching us all to include everyone in everything no matter what the barrier was. 

 I want to thank you for showing me how to give and serve. It didn't matter how you felt, you always had the energy to give something to someone else, whether it was baking cakes or making food for a family. When you went on two missions it showed me that you care so much about the gospel that you are willing to share and give the knowledge that you know to others so that they can love the gospel just like you.

I want to thank you for having dreams with me. I knew Cash was the one for me to be with forever when I knew he had to meet you. I wish he could have met Grandpa too, but he will when he gets up there and waits for me. I know you were waiting for a call from me saying that we have set a wedding date so that you can start making our wedding cake. (And to be honest, even though everyone told me to keep telling you no. I would have said yes. Because that's what you wanted and I wanted it too.) But now you can be there. You will be at our wedding to enjoy and dance along with us. I know you will bring Grandpa and others when you come to be apart of that joyful day. 

I want to thank you for showing me how to be strong. I believe I got my strength from you. Before you were diagnosed with cancer you showed how strong you were to be able to leave us here and go on two missions. You showed me how strong your passion and love for the gospel was and that you were willing do anything to share your love. After you were diagnosed you showed me how strong you were for the family. I didn't really see any of your bad days, but if I did you were strong enough to still be apart of our activities, even if you were just a bystander. You showed me that even if you didn't feel well or if something wasn't going right you were strong enough to hold the family together.

But most of all, I want to thank you for this family. Thank you for coming to this great country to not only pursue your dreams, but also your children's dreams.Thank you for creating a family with Grandpa that is willing to open their arms and their hearts to everyone. Thank you for teaching this family to love the gospel and to be faithful to the church. 

I love you Salote Kalielea Pale Vuki.

God Be With You Until We Meet Again

Love,
Kalilea (Kali) Ana Vuki

No comments: